Thursday, June 22, 2017

Happy Father's Day




Happy Father's Day!! 
Well not much to write for this week. We had a lot of appointments cancel and fall through so nothing really exciting to write about as far as teaching goes. It left time for a lot of finding though, so that was really fun and we had some funny contacts, as always!!

Here is a rundown
Monday we went to go to a bible referral that was sent to us because they were not quite sure what city it was in.  Long story short, we ended up downtown at searching for this place for a good 40 minutes. Now it was 8:45 and we still were not able to find this apt. We were on the corner of a blue and red light and Sister Pruitt was a little nervous, to say the least. It was probably a good thing because it kept me on my toes.  I am so used to some of the crazy things here that it doesn't scare me, which isn't good at all!  I didn't want to leave because we had come all that way but it was sketch. We found the apt… finally!  Some random lady let us into the building because we were "Jesus girls and and we ain't fixin to harm no one" we got up to his floor in this creepy creepy 1900’s elevator.  I thought to myself this is definitely the night I'm going to die. This is how I'm going to die!  We got to his door and music was blaring. After all the searching, no one would come to the door when they were oblivious home!  I knocked a good 6 times before Sister Pruitt said, “he's not coming let's go”.  The worst!! I wasn’t about to get on the elevator again so we found the stairs and wouldn't you know it that the stairs were being painted that day and they were drying so we were forced to take the elevator. I was bound and determined to give out the Book of Mormon and Bible to someone because we came all that way. There was an elderly Hispanic man that we had briefly spoken to on the way up to the man’s apartment so when we came back down he asked, “would you girls like a drink of water”? We didn't take the water but I took it as a great opportunity to teach him more of what we had briefly spoken of before! He was a super sweet man who had met with missionaries in Mexico and he loved the great people in the church and the teachings. After talking for a bit we asked if he would like to have missionaries come back and teach him again. He wasn't interested but he asked for the Book of Mormon because he misplaced the one he had.  So, it ended up being all good. We got out of there quick and ran to the car but all is well!! 

Tuesday there was a youth activity at the Ruiz shop. I'm not sure if I've told you much about this family but they are exactly like dad and it makes me so happy when I talk to them or are even around them. Anyway, they do a lot with cars and hot rods and they have this sweet brand new super charged hub cat.  This is all beside the point. There is a youth that we have been trying to work with for so so so long. His mom is a recent convert and he is a great kid. He's really into cars and working with anything that runs, so we created this whole mutual night for him in hope that he would come and enjoy it and we would be able to get the youth to fellowship him.  I was nervous that the whole night would never happen. We had been asking the YW and YM to put it on for so long now. More than that, I was worried that he might not even show up. Never fear though, he did show up and he loved it!! We talked for a long time afterwards about all sorts of things and I showed him some of dad’s toys that I have pictures of and he got so hyped! Immediate friends!! Connections made, so hopefully we can start teaching him! Besides all of that, I got to be in a shop which the smells and sounds just bring me home.  So all and all, it was a great night!  A win win for sure. 

Wednesday we moved district meeting to early in the morning for a lesson that ended up falling through, which was ok. It allowed us to do some online training for Sister Pruitt. That night we went to the soup kitchen, which I love!! There is never a dull moment! It's the best 2 hours of my day. There was a new helper there that was from Switzerland. She is so sweet. When I was telling her who I was and what I do, she gave me that face like yikes!! So I asked her what she knew about Mormons and she tried to brush it off so I didn't want to push it.  Later that night, she came back to me and she said your way too nice to be a Mormon. Everything I know about your religion says you shouldn't be this nice or happy!  We had a good long talk after that it was beautiful!! She was so relieved to find out I wasn't a devil worshiper or a sister wife. I love being a representative of the church so I can help to set things straight and that I can be an example of which I hope Christ is pleased with.

Thursday we had interview in the morning and then we stayed at president’s house for quite some time planning. Always a good time! He made us some quesadillas. It was quite the party!  That night I almost died laughing! So… we helped this old lady with her garden last week and we didn't finish so we asked if we could come back and finish. Right before we left, she called us over and told us she had a special treat for us. She wanted to show us one of her favorite things. We waited while she ran in. She brought out this stuffed cat and I'm not talking like the stuffed animals you give a little kid I mean that she brought out a cat that used to be her pet that had died!! I couldn't take it I had to walk away it was so funny and gross. She took a crazy cat lady to a whole new level then she told Sister Pruitt she had two more haha not right on so many levels haha:) 

The rest of the week just seems like a blur I'm not really sure what happened haha:) 

Sunday we went to the retirement home again and we had a very nice service. I loved Father’s Day. It reminds me how grateful I am for my own father and for the knowledge of a Heavenly Father!  Words just don't do it justice for the feelings I have!! It's truly what pushes me on everyday knowing that there is someone out there that doesn't know they are a Child of God. They don't know that he loves them, someone that doesn't have this gospel and the light and love in their life. I'm so grateful!  I love this gospel with all my heart and I'm so grateful for the opportunity I have to share it with others each and every day! I couldn’t have asked for a better 15 months!! It's been such a blast! So fulfilling and so life changing! I'm so grateful!!

Love you all! 
Keep smilin 
Sister Kendrick 




Home Alone House

No comments:

Post a Comment